Thursday, October 23, 2008

God Has Entrusted Me With Myself

I feel really crappy. I'm sure there are some reasons, but for the most part I have no idea why. Just in a really glum mood. When times like this come, I wonder what my response should be. I tend to be a pretty stoic person, so let's try a little bit of that. Here are some random samplings of quotes by Epictetus, the father of the philosophical school known as Stoicism.

"Difficulties show men what they are. In case of any difficulty remember that God has pitted you against a rough antagonist that you may be a conqueror, and this cannot be without toil." ~Epictetus

"Do not seek to bring things to pass in accordance with your wishes, but wish for them as they are, and you will find them." ~Epictetus

"
No greater thing is created suddenly, any more than a bunch of grapes or a fig. If you tell me that you desire a fig, I answer you that there must be time. Let it first blossom, then bear fruit, then ripen." ~Epictetus

"
Whoever does not regard what he has as most ample wealth, is unhappy, though he be master of the world." ~Epictetus

The funny thing is, I wasn't expecting that to make me feel better. But it did. Weird, huh?

“The Promised Land always lies on the other side of a wilderness.”

No comments: