Sunday, June 3, 2012

"Thank You"

I work at a Christian bookstore (no, I won't tell you which one).  Last night, a customer came in (like they do).  One of my co-workers answered all her questions, was very polite and helpful, and in doing so was even staying after her shift should have ended to help us get ready for closing.  The lady made her purchases, and then asked my co-worker "Now what do you say?"  There were several of us behind the counter, and we didn't understand what the woman wanted.  With all of us having failed her little test, she proceeded to launch into a vicious and angry tirade about how no one says thank you, questioning my co-worker's decency as a human being for failing to do so, and saying that "God wants you to say it." 

Rarely in my life do I feel the desire to slap little old ladies, but I felt it pretty strongly last night.  I know retail is a tough place to work, and these sorts of things happen all the time (with Christian businesses and non-Christian businesses alike).  But they shouldn't.  Being in a position of power over someone doesn't give you the right to treat them like they're less than human, and I wish that as a society we could understand that.

No comments: